In Painting I, we had a project inspired by analytic cubism. While we did research on Picasso, Braque, and Léger. In addition to those, I took a particular look at Juan Gris and his color palette. With the mixes of paint, I also threw in handfuls of mulch and sand to create texture. The texture created by the mulch is nice and I would like to work with these sorts of additives again.
24 in by 36 in acrylic, mulch and sand on canvas, 2010.
An early project in Painting I at Brevard College. We collected fallen leaves around campus, looking for those with color and texture that appealed to us. These were arranged and glued to a surface and then that still life collage was then reproduced in paint.
These two acrylic paintings are of King Creek on the Brevard College campus. We had an assignment in Painting I to make use of a warm color in a cool way and a cool color in a warm way. I can’t say I was really successful, but I think that’s because I was thinking too much about it. I still have a lot to learn about color, but I think that by just playing with colors intuitively and randomly that I’ve learned a lot in the past two years. Josef Albers felt that an intellectual understanding of color theory is helpful, but experience is much more important. I believe I agree.
each 10 in by 8 in, acrylic on bristol board, 2010.
This was the first of two still life arrangements with the teapot, completed for a project in Painting I at Brevard College. I remember having a difficult time with the teapot and so I insisted on using it again in the second painting.
I took a series of photos at Lake Junaluska, a retreat and community primarily of the United Methodist Church. The Memorial Chapel is the most photographed building at Lake Junaluska, and I continued that tradition. In Painting I at Brevard College, we were asked to learn about the Fauvists for their use of color and then create our own painting under that influence. For the sake of composition, I found it necessary to modify the chapel considerably. There was certainly freedom to do so; I’d already changed the grey stone to a bright orange. Throughout the work, I tried to consider color relationships of adjacent areas. Unfortunately, I feel that this locked me into very “primary” colors, like a box of 8 crayons.